Thursday 2 April 2015

And You Broke My Walls

April is National Poetry Month. I intend to celebrate it by participating in the Poem a Day Challenge by the Poetic Asides' very talented blogger Robert Lee Brewer at Writer's Digest.

This is my first poem in a (hopefully) long line of month-long poems:

PAD Prompt: Resistance poem.

Our afternoon dreams were battering rams,
To send shock-waves down my spine,
I flaked, my lies roaring as they crashed,
Your giggles launching Greek fire,
On philosophies seeking dry shores,
The balm of your dances too strong for my fields,
Your perfume the slow decay of my granaries,
You had clutched my hand once,
All my pigeons had died of heart-attacks --
The sky was a song of your charms,
And I knew I would never be rescued;
Our cooling coffees had assassinated
My Noble Houses in muffled shrieks,
Your half-conscious touches gentle anesthesia
To my troops shipwrecked in your eyes,
They rest in the cold twilight of your absences,
Their matchstick figurines useless now,
My sulphur spent in mixing fumes,
With your siren promises,
Of happiness.

Take my crown,
Let me help you pillage these streets,
The shards color my hands in red,
I would blood-let my every subject,
To worship the fever that brought you
To my walls.


Image Source: Delawer Omar

6 comments:

  1. Very Homeric. Odyssey, is it?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Inspired by days spent playing AoE and AoM. So I suppose, yes? :P

      Thanks! :)

      Delete
  2. Inner turmoil captured so B'fully.. Deep it is.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Another winner from your stable. Sorry about your pigeons. Good work.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Many thanks! And yes, those messenger birds were worth a fortune. But now I don't feel the need to send them anywhere, so that is alright.

      Delete